1. Joint nutrition
Eating a healthy diet is essential to obtain the nutrients that help to nourish your joints and maintain joint health.
Your diet should include a range of wholefoods that provide nutrients for joints:
- Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring provide omega-3 fatty acids. Vegetarian options include walnuts and flaxseeds
- Blackcurrants, strawberries, paw paw, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and citrus fruits provide vitamin C, required for the development of healthy cartilage
- Almonds, hazelnuts, apples, pears, prunes and raisins contain the mineral boron which plays a role in joint health
- Beans, coconuts, corn, sunflower seeds, legumes and whole grains contain manganese which is needed for the formation of healthy cartilage
2. Exercise for joint health
Regular exercise is great for joint health by helping to improve joint mobility and flexibility and build muscle strength.
Choose varied activities that you enjoy including:
- Stretching, such as yoga, for joint range of motion
- Weight-bearing exercises to improve muscle strength and joint stability
- Aerobic exercise such as swimming and walking for cardiovascular benefits
3. Watch your waistline
Carrying excess weight can add extra strain in the joints particularly if they are weight-bearing joints such as the knees.
Maintaining a healthy weight is achieved with a well balanced diet made up of nutrient rich foods and regular exercise.
If you experience sore joints that make it more difficult for you to get moving seeking the advice of a physiotherapist is a good idea to find how you can get started with joint friendly exercise.
4. Blackmores Joint Formula Advanced
Blackmores Joint Formula Advanced
contains glucosamine, chondroitin, manganese and boron and helps support normal joint health.
Blackmores Joint Formula Advanced may help with the symptomatic relief of osteoarthritis, including:
• Relieving joint pain
• Increasing joint mobility
• Reducing joint stiffness
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.